This Sweet Potato and Lentil Curry Recipe is a delicious and easy one-pot meal that will feed you and your family for days! It’s hearty, delicious, and jam-packed with flavour.
I’m all about easy cooking. Whenever a recipe has too many steps or ingredients that are super difficult to find, I immediately hit the little “x” in the corner of the screen. They just aren’t my style.
Simple, healthy, throw-in and go recipes are more my style – which is why I love this Sweet Potato and Lentil Curry Recipe. It is the kind of recipe that is all about making the most of super flavourful yet easy to find ingredients.
Since I am not big on spending hours on meal prep and directions, I love that this recipe calls for you to just add all the ingredients into a big pot or baking pan, throw it in the oven and let it cook. Easy peasy.
How long goes it take to cook?
This is somewhat dependant on your lentils. If you have pre-soaked your lentils then you really only need to cook this Sweet Potato and Lentil Curry Recipe for 1 hour.
If you haven’t pre-soaked your lentils though and you’re cooking them from then you’ll need to cook this recipe for 2 – 3 hours.
While online it’s often noted that lentils only need to be soaked for 20 minutes prior to cooking or to be cooked for 40 minutes to be fully cooked, that just hasn’t been my experience.
In general, I’ve found that you need to soak lentils overnight (for about 8 hours) for them to be properly pre-soaked for a recipe. And, when I have cooked them from dry I’ve found they always take around 2 hours to cook through.
Do you serve it with anything?
I do indeed! I often serve this Sweet Potato and Lentil Curry Recipe over either rice or quinoa. I also like to serve this dish with plain yogurt to temper down the spice, add a bit of creaminess, and also add a bit of tang to the dish. It’s delicious!
Does this recipe require coconut milk/ coconut cream?
I personally tend to use coconut milk and cream when I make this recipe, however you do not have to! You can easily swap these out for whatever milk or milk substitute you prefer.
Sweet Potato and Lentil Curry Recipe
2 sweet potatoes
1 cup of green lentils
1 can of coconut milk
1 can of coconut cream
2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 tbsp of turmeric
1 tbsp of cumin
1 tbsp of chili powder
1-2 chilies for spice (optional)
salt and pepper
Optional: 1 large carrot / any other vegetables you have available that you’d like to add-in.
1. Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C)
2. Begin prepping your vegetables by peeling your sweet potatoes. Once peeled, cut the sweet potatoes into small bite-size cubes. If you have chosen to add chilies to your dish, then dice them up finely. Cut up any other vegetables you’d like to add to your curry.
3. Place all your vegetables into your 9X13 pyrex pan, or whichever large pan you will be using for this recipe. Also, add in your lentils.
4. Open the cans of coconut milk, coconut cream, and diced tomatoes and pour them over top of the vegetables.
5. Next add in your spices: turmeric, cumin, chili powder, and salt, and pepper. Stir all the ingredients together well until they are well mixed.
6. Place your dish into the oven. If you have pre-soaked your lentils, then you’ll just need to cook this for 1 hour. If you haven’t soaked your lentils, then you will need to let this cook for 2 – 3 hours – checking along the way to see if your lentils have softened.
7. Then, remove your curry from the oven and serve over rice. Add a dollop of plain yogurt over top to make it extra creamy!
Check these recipes out next!